College Report: Stephanie Holthus excels at Northwestern
By Dan Chamness For Sun-Times Media September 11, 2012 5:30PM
Burlington Central graduate Stephanie Holthus is off to another fast start for the Northwestern volleyball team. | Photo courtesy Northwestern University
Updated: October 14, 2012 1:19PM
Getting a preseason honor sometimes puts a target on your back.
But Burlington Central graduate Stephanie Holthus is proving she is up to the challenge and living up to the preseason hype.
Holthus, a Northwestern junior, was named to the preseason All-Big Ten team as voted upon by league volleyball coaches. Holthus, who set a Northwestern record in attempted kills one year ago with 1,453, finished the 2011 season with 475 kills and 330 digs. She was named to the Big Ten team one year ago and this is the second time she was named to the preseason team.
Northwestern got off to a 4-0 start and Holthus, a 5-foot-11 outside hitter, had 63 kills and a .240 hitting percentage in the first four matches. She also had 53 digs and 12 blocks (two solos).
Holthus was the only Northwestern player to earn the honor of the total 14 chosen.
• Eastern Illinois freshman soccer player Garrett Creason (St. Charles North) earned his first collegiate win as he was the goalkeeper in the Panters’ 2-0 win over Lipscomb University. Creason made six saves in his 90 minutes of play.
Fellow EIU freshmen Tony Meza (Dundee-Crown) and Anthony DiNuzzio (Bartlett) both subbed into the contest. Creason is 1-1.
• Concordia University-Chicago’s Kyle Joss (St. Charles North) scored the first goal of the season for CUC men’s soccer team as they were defeated by North Park University 3-1. Joss hit the back of the net at the 55:03 mark to cut the NPU lead to 2-1.
Anthony Giammanco (South Elgin) and Alex Lopez (Streamwood) both started for CUC. Joss and Lopez were both starting forwards, while Giammanco was a starting midfielder.
• Sam Szarmach (St. Charles East) has helped Elmhurst College win its first four volleyball matches, all of which were played at the Elmhurst College Invitational.
EC downed University of Chicago by a 3-2 score in the final match. They defeated Bethany Lutheran, Lake Forest College and the United States Coast Guard Academy by 3-0 scores. Szarmach has 38 kills, 16 digs and six blocks (three solos). She has a .277 hitting percentage.
• Elmhurst College’s Sean Sullivan (St. Charles-East) punted twice for 68 yards in EC’s 36-0 road win over Loras College. One of Sullivan’s punts landed inside the 20-yard line.
• Lewis University senior Fran Abate (Bartlett) assisted the LU Flyers’ first goal of their 2-1 win over Saginaw Valley State. Abate assisted the goal scored at 32:28.
• Loyola University senior Kristen Haggenjos (St. Edward) had six digs and two assists through the first seven volleyball matches.
Do you want to add a name to the list for the 2012-13 school year” Here’s how: First, the athlete must be a graduate of one of the high schools normally covered by The Courier-News. Secondly, they have to be involved in intercollegiate athletics, meaning their chosen college/university competes against other colleges/universities.E-mail (Dan62801@aol.com). Please include the name of the athlete, former high school and college they are attending and what sport they compete in. Put Elgin Courier-News in the subject line of the e-mail.