couriernews
IMPERFECT 
Weather Updates

3-year Black Tie plan only good for one fix — but Best Buy comes through

Contact The Fixer

Getting the runaround about a consumer problem? Tell it to The Fixer at www.suntimes.com/pcds/ssl/scn/fixer.html. If you don’t have a computer, you can mail a brief description of your problem, along with your name, address and telephone number, to: The Fixer, The Beacon News, 495 N. Commons Drive, Suite 200, Aurora, IL 60504. Don’t send original documents. Due to the large volume of submissions, The Fixer can’t make personal replies. Letters are edited for length and clarity.

Updated: July 29, 2012 9:12PM

Dear Fixer: I purchased a Compaq Notebook computer from Best Buy on Jan. 5, 2009, for $450. I also purchased a three-year “Black Tie” protection plan for $180.

I took the Notebook to the Geek Squad in April because there was a blank area on the screen. They sent it out for repair. Later, I received a call saying it was “junked” and I should come in to get a replacement. I replaced it with a more expensive HP laptop, but I paid the difference.

I was told that the remainder of the protection plan would be transferred over to the new computer since I had almost a year left on the plan.

In December, my 3-year-old granddaughter grabbed at her mom’s coffee and some of it spilled on the keyboard. The laptop powered on and the mouse and programs worked, but the keyboard did not. I called Best Buy and was told it would be covered by the plan. However, when I brought the laptop to the store for repair, I was told it was not covered. I was informed that the plan was on the original Compaq and it was not transferred over. They said Best Buy had fulfilled the plan when they junked the first computer and replaced it, even though it was less than the three years of coverage I bought.

I have called the customer service number several times and been assured that the second computer was indeed covered. I was told at the end of December that they needed to update their system and it would take a few days.

I have been told by different employees and customer-service reps that the computer is covered or it is not covered.

Deb Zak, Naperville

Dear Deb: It turns out that the Best Buy employees who told you the second computer was not covered were right: In the fine print of your Black Tie plan, it states that if Best Buy replaces a broken computer, that action ends their responsibility under the plan. In other words, a three-year plan means they’ll replace something once (if needed) within that three-year period — not that they’ll keep on doing that for three years.

However, it did seem odd that you weren’t able to get a straight answer as to whether your second machine was covered.

We asked Best Buy to look into this, and after reviewing all customer-service reps’ notes, Julie Dalton, a manager at their HQ, agreed that you were given conflicting information. Because of that, they’ve decided to give you $485.99 to purchase a new computer.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.