couriernews
SUITABLE 
Weather Updates

Lit candle leads to house fire in McHenry

Maps

MCHENRY - An early morning house fire in an unincorporated area of McHenry County on Wednesday is believed to have been caused by a lit candle, investigators said.

The fire was reported at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday at 5107 Barnard Mill Road in unincorporated McHenry, according to a release from the McHenry County Sheriff’s office.

Sheriff’s deputies responding to assist the McHenry Township Fire Protection District arrived to find flames visible from the exterior of the residence, the release said. The woman who was the sole occupant of the home had gotten out of the building prior to the arrival of officers.

No one was injured, though the residence sustained significant damage, the release said.

The initial investigation revealed nothing suspicious and indicated that a candle burning inside the residence started the blaze, sheriff’s police said.

The roadways at Ringwood Road and Barnard Mill Road were shut down for approximately two hours while fire crews worked. Fire personnel from the Wonder Lake Fire Protection District, Richmond Township Fire Protection District, Spring Grove Fire Protection District and Fox Lake Fire Department responded to assist the firefighting efforts.

Representatives from the McHenry Township Fire Protection District were not available for comment Wednesday morning.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.