Weather Updates

Romeoville plane crash victim identified

Sgt. Bryan Bulmann from Romeoville Police Department stands near plane thcrashed grounds St. Charles Borromeo Pastoral Center 101 Airport Road

Sgt. Bryan Bulmann, from the Romeoville Police Department stands near a plane that crashed on the grounds of the St. Charles Borromeo Pastoral Center at 101 Airport Road in Romeoville, IL on Sunday June 26, 2011 | Matt Marton~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 14390857
tmspicid: 4978376
fileheaderid: 2452318

Updated: June 28, 2011 2:17AM

ROMEOVILLE — Victor Pantaleo, 68, of Darien, was the pilot who died after a single-engine airplane crashed Sunday afternoon near Lewis University Airport, according to the DuPage County coroner’s office.

A passenger was critically injured. Both men were taken by ambulance to the airport where they were airlifted to hospitals. Pantaleo was taken to Advrocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove where he was pronounced dead at 4:15 p.m. An autopsy was scheduled for today .

The passenger, whose identity was not available today , was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in critical but stable condition.

The accident is being investigated by the coroner’s office, Romeoville police and the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board. Typically, it takes three months to a year before the NTSB releases the results of its investigation, an FAA spokeswoman said.

The Cessna 210 crashed about 2:45 p.m. after striking trees and power lines in front of the St. Charles Borromeo Pastoral Center at Airport Road and Route 53, Assistant Police Chief Steve Lucchesi said.

“No one affiliated with the university was on board the aircraft and operations on campus were not affected,” said Lewis University spokeswoman Kathrynne Skonicki. “The university extends its heartfelt sympathy to the family of those involved in this tragedy.”

Both men were reportedly conscious and trapped inside the plane when firefighters arrived. Lockport Township Fire Battalion Chief Dave Jerling said crews were unable to reach the victims immediately because of power lines draped across the plane.

ComEd workers shut off power and firefighters used heavy-extrication equipment to open the plane doors.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.