Weather Updates

Family feud includes sword attack to TV

Updated: September 24, 2012 6:25AM


Sword attack: A police officer reported he was called to a home in the 300 block of Douglas Avenue about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday because a 38-year-old woman and her 21-year-old niece were arguing. According to the report, the women had been living together but the aunt wanted the niece to move out and the niece was afraid that if she left that afternoon, her aunt would throw her belongings onto the lawn. The officer said he got the niece to promise to leave and the aunt to promise not to throw out the belongings. But 10 minutes later, the aunt called for police help again. The aunt said that soon after the officer left, her niece had picked up a black sword and had repeatedly struck the home’s TV set with it, also knocking a 2-inch hole in a wall. The woman said she did not want to press charges, and the officer advised her to ask the landlord to start legal eviction proceedings.

Burning utility pole: West Chicago Street and Hamilton Avenue were closed for several hours Tuesday evening in the area of Washington Elementary School after a utility pole in front of the school caught fire. Battalion Chief Terry Bruce of the Elgin Fire Department said a passerby noticed the pole burning, apparently from an electric power problem, about 6:30 p.m. He said the wooden pole had burned almost completely through, the top was in danger of falling onto the street, and firefighters were afraid to spray water onto live electric wires. So city workers detoured traffic around the site between Wilcox Avenue and Monroe Street until a ComEd crew arrived and shut the power off. Firefighters then put out the flames, and ComEd replaced the pole.

Laundry fire: Fire department investigators Wednesday were trying to figure out what caused a fire in the laundry room of a home at 228 Mulford Drive that started about 9:36 p.m. Tuesday. He said firefighters put out the blaze in about six minutes and limited the flames to the laundry room and an adjacent hall. But smoke spread throughout the home, and damage was estimated at $6,000. According to reports, residents of the house were at home when the fire started, but no one was injured.

Copper gone: A woman told police Tuesday that after she moved out of a home in the 300 block of Center Street on Feb. 28, someone broke into it through a basement window and stole all the copper pipes in the basement.

Destructive burglar: A woman who lives in an apartment in the 1500 block of Meyer Street told police that between 11 a.m. and 11:15 p.m. Tuesday, someone forced open the apartment’s front door, broke a bedroom window and knocked a hole in the screen of her 65-inch rear-projection digital light processing television. She told police she had been feuding with another family.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.