Weather Updates

Fight between Elgin cops, suspect sends 3 to hospital



storyidforme: 47397082
tmspicid: 17557549
fileheaderid: 7916105

Updated: April 10, 2013 11:56AM

ELGIN — A struggle between police officers and a 40-year-old man Sunday morning ended up with the suspect and two of the officers being sent to hospitals and the suspect facing four felony charges.

Police said the incident began about 7:45 a.m. Sunday when a cab driver called to report a theft of services. The driver said he had picked up a man in Hanover Park and had taken him to an apartment building in the 400 block of East Chicago Street in Elgin. The man went into an apartment, but never came back out to pay his fare, the cabbie said.

Officers said they located the rider inside the apartment and persuaded him to pay the driver. But they remained suspicious about the name the man had given to them. So when they got back to the police station, they discovered via photos in a data base that the man actually was Federico Solarzano of Glendale Heights, and that Solarzano had four warrants out for his arrest.

Officers reported they returned to the Chicago Street apartment and told Solarzano, who they said was found naked, that they knew who he really was and they were arresting him on the warrants. But the officers said that after he put on some clothes, he suddenly attacked the officers, tackling one around the waist and knocking him to the floor. A second officer drew a taser gun but it misfired, striking that officer in the hand instead of hitting Solarzano.

The officers reported Solarzano then ran out of the apartment. But one of the officers tackled him. As he continued to struggle, they reported, they subdued him by tasering him.

Solarzano was charged with felony aggravated battery and three felony counts of resisting arrest, plus a misdemeanor charge of obstructing identification. He was taken to Sherman Hospital and later Presence Saint Joseph Hospital for treatment of breathing problems caused by the gas, but later was released and taken to the city jail.

According to reports, two police officers also were treated at Sherman Hospital’s emergency room — one for puncture wounds caused by the taser misfire and the other for injuries to his shoulder and hip.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.