couriernews
SUITABLE 
Weather Updates

Firefighters say dog likely caused fire

Updated: January 28, 2013 9:00PM



SOUTH ELGIN — A family dog attempting to get at pizza left on top of the stove is the likely cause of a fire Monday that severely damaged a South Elgin home, fire officials said.

South Elgin and Countryside firefighters were called to a duplex at 947 Kane Street at 9:15 a.m., said Lt. Todd Erickson. Firefighters at the scene found half of the duplex in flames, and “we were met by unfriendly dog when we first got there,” he said.

Firefighters were able to get the dog out a back door and into a fenced yard, and rescue another family dog, Erickson said. The fire, which started at the kitchen stove, had spread into cabinets and into the walls, he said. The fire was put out about 10 minutes after crews arrived and caused $100,000 in damage to the home and contents, Erickson said. When the homeowner arrived about 40 minutes after the fire was out, he told officials he likely knew what had happened, Erickson said. “He had left a pizza box on the stove and his dog was probably jumping up on the stove to get things off,” Erickson said.

Firefighters found the burned pizza box remains there, he added.

Erickson reminded families with pets and small children that they can get covers for stove ignition switches to prevent accidentally turning on burners.

This is South Elgin’s largest house fire in a year — the last one being a garage fire in January 2012, Erickson noted.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.