Weather Updates

Assistance for crime victims listed

Updated: February 24, 2013 6:17AM

ST. CHARLES — Police here are reminding area residents of the services available for victims and witnesses of crime.

Among the services:

The Kane County Victim’s Rights Unit will provide information as to how your case will proceed through the court system. You can contact the members of the unit by calling the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office at 630-232-3500.

If you become a victim of domestic violence, the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office can assist you in obtaining an order of protection. Domestic violence victims can the general number at 630-232-3500 and ask for the Domestic Violence Victim Services Division.

Assistance to domestic violence victims also is available through the Community Crisis Center in Elgin by calling 847-697-2380 (742-4057 TDD) or Mutual Ground in Aurora at 630-897-0080.

Assistance and legal advice also may be available to victims through attorneys of the Prairie State Legal Services by calling 630-232-9415.

The Illinois State Attorney General’s Office provides information pertaining to the Illinois Crime Victim’s Compensation Program. This program provides financial assistance for eligible victims who have been killed or injured as a result of a criminal act. Crime victims or their families may contact the Attorney General’s Office at 1-800-228-3368.

Services available to victims of crime are also available on the city of St. Charles website at Victim/witness brochures are available in the police department lobby.

More information is available from the St. Charles Police Department at 630-377-4435.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.