Elgin program to look back at Sherman Hospital’s history
FROM SUBMITTED REPORTS June 18, 2012 1:46PM
Henry Sherman donated the house on Channing Street in Elgin that became the first home of Sherman Hospital. | COURTESY ELGIN AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Updated: July 20, 2012 6:17AM
ELGIN — A look back at “Sherman Hospital’s Roots and Wings: The History of Changing Healthcare Every Life, Every Moment, Every Day” will be presented at noon Thursday at the Elgin History Museum, at 360 Park St.
The Elgin Woman’s Club opened Sherman Hospital in 1888 using a house Henry Sherman donated on Channing Street. Patti Turner, executive director of Sherman Choice, will discuss how Sherman health care has changed and expanded during its nearly 150 years in Elgin — from typhoid fever to open-heart surgery.
Turner will discuss the changes in the hospital campus, and the time capsule and demolition of the old hospital building in Elgin’s northeast end.
Turner has lived in the Elgin area for 50 years and began working for Sherman Hospital more than 30 years ago.
A graduate of Elgin High School and Elgin Community College, Turner graduated cum laude from Northern Illinois University with a bachelor’s degree in business and holds an MBA with health care specialization from the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management.
Turner is active in numerous local organizations including the Northern Fox Valley Chapter of Women in Management, United Way of Elgin, the Managed Healthcare Providers Association and the Healthcare Financial Management Association. She also chairs Sherman Health’s Physician Satisfaction Team.
More information is available at 847-742-4248 or at www.elginhistory.org.