Congregations joined to form Kneseth Israel in 1910
By E.C. “Mike” Alft For The Courier-News November 20, 2010 4:32PM
Updated: April 19, 2011 5:16AM
What was happening in Elgin during the month of December 100, 75, 50, 25 and 10 years ago?
Members of the Illinois Suffrage Association, advocates of women’s right to vote, held a state convention in Elgin.
Recommended Christmas gifts for boys included knives, air rifles, tool chests and toy airplanes.
Elgin Socialists scheduled a series of lectures about their movement.
A pair of congregations joined to form Kneseth Israel, and a building on Ann Street was rented for services.
Elgin High School defeated Elgin Academy 23-0 in a Thanksgiving Day football game that attracted an estimated crowd of 1,200. After the game, fans created a disturbance on the academy campus, defacing Old Main with a liberal supply of black paint.
The Illinois Watch Case Co.’s daily output was increasing with the approach of Christmas, and employees of the Seybold Piano and Organ factory were working until 10 p.m. to fill orders.
The son of the president of the Elgin National Watch Co. began working at a bench in the assembly department of the factory. He was living at the National House.
A hobble skirt party was enjoyed by members of the Epworth Methodist Church. Stunts such as running upstairs in the tight gowns were highlights of the occasion.
The city received a federal WPA grant to repave nearly 20 miles of abandoned streetcar tracks.
The new 1936 Chevrolet arrived at Brotzman and Melms dealership. The standard coupe, complete with spare tire and bumpers, was listed at $515.
Elgin firefighters, who were receiving wages of $112.50 per month, asked for an increase to $148.50 per month.
A local Townsend Club, which advocated $200-per-month grants to those 60 years and older, was organized with 300 members.
It was estimated that a Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixings would cost a family of five about $5.50, with something left over for the next two days.
The Fideliters’ 72nd annual charity ball was held at Brookwood Country Club.
The Route 20 bypass was formally opened along the 2.08-mile stretch from McLean Boulevard to Grace Street.
Richard Nixon carried Elgin Township by a vote of 15,529 to 5,226 over John F. Kennedy in the presidential election.
The city council voted to acquire up to 24 acres of property along South Grove Avenue for redevelopment and authorized an expenditure of $4.3 million.
Three men were arrested for gambling. They were rolling dice.
A heavy rain flooded some basements at Casa Linda, submerging fuse boxes and some furnaces, forcing the evacuation of about 80 tenants.
With a 20,081 to 13,062 tally, voters favored issuing $28 million in bonds to build a new library.
By a large majority in an advisory referendum, Bartlett voters rejected the idea of separating from Elgin School District U46.
A refrigerated ice rink was being installed in the Civic Center Plaza.