River pollution a problem in Elgin in 1913
By E.C. “Mike” Alft For Sun-Times Media October 11, 2013 5:58PM
Updated: November 14, 2013 6:37AM
What was happening in Elgin during the month of October 100, 75, 50, 25 and 10 years ago?
Eleven cases of typhoid fever were reported in the city, and the health department believed that there were at least 13 others.
Elgin’s first Dollar Day offered shoppers unusual bargains. Downtown streets were crowded all day. Among the items for sale at $1 were an oak rocking chair, three silk ties, a man’s hat, a comforter, and boys knickerbocker pants.
The fourth annual ball of the fire department was held at the Coliseum. One daring number on the program was the tango.
The city of Elgin admitted to the state rivers and lakes commission that it was polluting the Fox River and asked for time to change its system of sewage and waste disposal.
Work was completed paving the North Spring Street hill with brick from the old Kimball Street bridge deck.
The Barclay hardware store, opened in 1854, announced its closing.
Ground was broken for the Fox Valley Professional Park, a medical center on Summit Street.
Elgin barber shops continued to charge $2 for a haircut, although prices were raised in Chicago.
Construction was started on a Howard Johnson motel and restaurant on Highway 25 south of the Tollway.
An elm on Sherman Avenue, believed to be more than 200 years old, was cut down. It was a victim of Dutch Elm disease.
Walgreen’s drug store was the first store to open in the Clock Tower Plaza.
Judson College, which had an enrollment of 93 when it opened in 1963, celebrated its 25th anniversary with an enrollment of 534.
The Gail Borden Public Library opened its big new building at 270 North Grove.
A chain-reaction accident on the I-90 Tollway killed eight persons and injured 15.
The city’s Planning and Development Commission announced Elgin’s intention to extend its boundaries as far west as Route 47.