Titanic victim’s watch was rebuilt in Elgin
By Mike Alft For The Courier-News May 13, 2012 4:50PM
Updated: June 15, 2012 8:02AM
What was happening in Elgin during the month of May 100, 75, 50, 25, and 10 years ago?
The annual Senior-Junior class rush at the Academy resulted in broken windows, blackened eyes and torn clothes.
The newly completed St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was dedicated.
About 300 families changed residence on or about the traditional May 1 moving day.
An Elgin watch found on the body of one of the victims of the sinking of the Titanic was sent to the local watch factory to be rebuilt.
The Nolting Block at the southeast corner of DuPage Street and South Grove Avenue, a hotel during the years 1881-1887, was razed for the new J. C. Penney store.
The city council passed a “white cane” ordinance to protect blind persons when crossing streets, and the Lions Club distributed canes to more than a score of blind persons.
The board of education granted a 5 percent salary increase to teachers. The raise restored pay levels to 95 percent of the pre-Depression level.
More than 50 Elgin food stores proprietors agreed to a new schedule of opening and closing hours which reduced the work week for employees to 51-1/2 hours.
The Alte Kameraden, German army veterans of World War I, adopted a flag. On one side blue and yellow letters proclaimed the name of the organization, and on the other side, a black maltese cross on a white background.
The Elgin Industrial Development Commission was formed by the City of Elgin and the Elgin Association of Commerce to bring new business to the community.
The city’s area approached 10 square miles with the annexation of 95 acres along Highway 19 near the new high school athletic field.
Elgin City Lines, Inc., cut back its service from a 20-minute schedule to intervals of 30 minutes.
The 17th annual Loyalty Day parade, sponsored by the VFW, featured military units, missiles, tanks, drum and bugle corps, and drill teams. The parade required more than an hour to complete the route.
At the Crocker: Pat Boone, Bobby Darin, and Ann Margret in “State Fair.” At the Star View: Rock Hudson and Doris Day in “Lover Come Back.”
The first floor of the Elgin Area Historical Museum was opened to the public.
Elizabeth (Mrs. Robert) Dole, Secretary of Transportation in the Reagan administration, was the commencement speaker at Judson College.
The Elgin Highland Watch Pipe Band gave its first public performance.
Ellis Middle School observed its 50th anniversary.
The city’s first Cinco de Mayo celebration featured a parade and a festival in Festival Park.
The three-screen movie theater in the Grand Victoria Casino closed.
The water tower near Blackhawk Drive and Congdon Avenue was razed.