Weather Updates

Elgin man gets 3 years for reckless driving, severely injuring pizza delivery driver

 Dani ManeElgwho was severely injured vehicle crash July 21 Elgin. | Submitted

Dani Manea of Elgin, who was severely injured in a vehicle crash July 21 in Elgin. | Submitted

storyidforme: 61087815
tmspicid: 19583550
fileheaderid: 8930385

Updated: February 27, 2014 6:42AM

ELGIN — A 22-year-old man arrested for his part in a violent accident off Summit Street the night of July 21 that critically injured pizza delivery driver, Dani Manea, 55, has been sentenced to three years in prison.

Elgin Police Lt. Jeff Adam said Friday that Noe Aguilera of Elgin has pleaded guilty to felony aggravated reckless driving charges before a judge in a Cook County courtroom in Rolling Meadows. Aguilera was credited with time served and must complete at least half his sentence before being paroled. He also was fined more than $700.

According to reports, the preliminary investigation indicated that a 2007 Kia driven by Manea — who worked at Chicago Pizza Authority — had been turning east (left) onto Summit from Shady Oaks Drive about 8 p.m. During the turn, her car was hit by a 2006 Dodge Charger driven by Aguilera, which was heading west on Summit.

After the initial crash, reports stated, the Charger was hit by a 2004 Infinity G35 driven by 28-year-old Ramon Moreno-Murillo of Elgin, who also was going west on Summit. The Charger then crossed over into the oncoming lanes of Summit and collided with a 2001 Infinity QX4 driven by 19-year-old Jennifer Ramirez of Elgin, who was heading east. The impact led to the Charger crossing back over into the westbound lanes of Summit and colliding again with Moreno-Murillo’s Infinity. All of the other drivers besides Manea and their passengers were either treated and released at the scene, or transported to local hospitals for non-life threatening injuries.

Summit Street was shut down between Shady Oaks and Waverly Drive for more than seven hours while police investigated.

According to reports, that investigation determined that Aguilera was driving between 92 mph and 104 mph when he started braking and hit Manea’s car while traveling between 88 mph and 99 mph — in a zone where the posted speed limit is 40 mph.

After her initial surgery, Manea remained in St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates for weeks, then was sent to a physical rehabilitation facility to recover.

Friends on Friday said Manea currently is living with family in Michigan and is making steady progress — including driving by herself recently for the first time since the crash.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.