Kitchen fire displaces 3 families in Lake in the Hills
October 18, 2013 11:58AM
Updated: November 21, 2013 6:38AM
Three families were left temporarily homeless and damage was estimated at $40,000. But a fire official credited an apartment building’s sprinkler system for limiting a Thursday-night fire to just the kitchen of one apartment in Lake in the Hills.
Battalion Chief Mike Kern of the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District said the fire began with a cooking incident at about 7:45 p.m. Thursday in a two-story building at 1311 Cunat Court.
“The building was equipped with an automatic sprinkler system, which was activated and contained the fire to the kitchen,” Kern said. “However, there were three families displaced due to water damage from the sprinkler system. All displaced were able to stay with family members.”
Firefighters from Huntley, Carpentersville and Crystal Lake also responded to the alarm.