Hundred evacuated after gas leak near senior center
From Staff Reports August 29, 2013 3:28PM
Updated: October 1, 2013 6:33AM
HUNTLEY — A natural-gas leak caused firefighters and police from 14 fire departments and seven police agencies to rush to Huntley Thursday to evacuate about 100 people from an assisted- and supportive-living facility and an office building.
Ken Madziarek, the spokesman for Huntley Fire Protection District, said a contractor digging for a street light struck a 4-inch gas main at 12500 Regency Parkway at about 9 a.m. After firefighters measured the air quality, they concluded that nearby DeerPath Supportive Living and Heritage Woods Assisted Living, plus a small one-story professional building across the street, were too dangerous to occupy.
They began evacuating residents using 12 ambulances from fire departments as far away as South Elgin and Genoa, plus buses volunteered by Huntley School District 158 and by Grafton Township.
Madziarek said residents of the assisted- and supportive-living homes were immediately moved to Huntley Fire Station 3, which is located next door. Residents and employees were then shuttled by ambulances and buses to the village hall cooling center. A Nicor crew responded and stopped the gas leak at approximately 10 a.m.
The buildings were then ventilated and monitored, and operations to return their occupants began at about 11:10 a.m., Madziarek said.
No one was injured, he said. He said the evacuation affected a total of 78 residents, 25 employees, three cats and one dog.